PROFILE OF OGUN STATE FORESTRY PLANTATION PROJECT,
AREA J4, NIGERIA.
Postal Address P. M. B. 2068, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile Telephone number: 08034622285
Project Manager : A. A. Bolaji -email@example.com (08034741765)
Ogun State Forestry Plantation Project, Area J4 is the largest industrial plantation in Nigeria and was established in 1980 for the purpose of establishing and managing commercial forest plantations. The Project is managing about 26,000 Ha of plantation, consisting mainly of fast growing forest species like Gmelina arborea, Tectona grandis and Pinus caribea. It also has a sizeable hectarage of indigenous species such as Mahogany, Opepe, Iroko, Cedar etc.
The main objective of establishing the Project is to feed Iwopin Pulp and Paper Company and other allied wood industries with the much needed raw materials and contribute to the revitalization and development of the wood industries in the State and Nigeria at large.
The mission of the Project is to increase the supply of industrial wood by establishing new forest plantations and improving the management of the existing ones.
Our vision is to remain the largest industrial plantation and become the best and most sustainably managed forest plantation in Nigeria and the West African sub-region to the satisfaction of all stakeholders and be the pride of the State.
Our Location, E-mail and Postal addresses.
The Project is located fourteen (14) kilometers from the express junction on Sagamu-Benin express way. It is totally in Omo Forest Reserve in Ijebu East Local Government Area of Ogun State.
The Project also has a Liaison office at Abeokuta, the State capital, located at Ogun Radio Complex, Ibara Housing Estate.
Organization and Management:
According to the edict that established the Project, it is supposed to have an 8 â€“ man board whose chairman is the Executive Governor of the State and Project Management Unit (PMU).
The Project Management Unit is the policy implementing organ of the Project and presently consists of a Project Manager and seven HODs. The seven departments of the Project are made up of four (4) Technical Services Departments and three (3) Management Services Departments.
The Technical Services Departments are:-
(i) Forestry Programmes
(ii) Agricultural Production (Ventures)
(iii) Engineering Services
(iv) Gateway Timber Industry Limited (GATIL)
The Management Services Departments are:
(i) Administration and Training
(i) Finance and Supplies
(ii) Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation.
Our Activities and Products
â€¢ Plantation Establishment
â€¢ Plantation Maintenance
â€¢ Exploitation and Marketing of Forest Produce and Products
â€¢ Agro-forestry â€“ crop and animal production
â€¢ Earth Moving Equipment Hiring
- Bamboo/Pine Groove - A recreational area (similar to a botanical garden) consisting of Bamboo trees, pine and other trees, natural trail, fall/stream, birds etc. it is ideal for picnics.
- Inviolate Forest (Queen Forest) - This is a natural (virgin) forest where one can see nature at its best (untouched). It is endowed with different plants and wildlife and used for research and recreation.
- Elephant Forest (Igbo Elerin) â€“ As its name connotes, the forest consists of mainly elephants and a camp for recreational purpose (hostel, conference room, kitchen etc).
- Confluence (River) â€“ At Etemi in Area J4, two rivers namely Shasha and Owena flow together and meet at a point to become one river similar to rivers Niger and Benue at Lokoja.
- Lake House â€“ This is a building on top of natural lake which is undergoing reconstruction. It consists of meeting/seminar rooms, bar and corridor for relaxation and fish hunting.
- Guest houses - There are two Guest Houses with nine (9) standard rooms and two annexes with seven (7) rooms making a total of sixteen (16) bedrooms. The Guest Houses provide accommodation and feeding for tourists and visitors.
- Football Pitch â€“ The Project has a standard football field where matches can be played and footballers can practice. There is a pavilion for spectators and footballers.
- Golf Course â€“ There is a 9 â€“ hole golf course
- Lawn Tennis Court â€“ Available
- Club House â€“ This is a recreational centre for both staff and tourists. It has a large open covered space for meetings and playing indoor games and bar and toilets.